Currently work as a Programmer/Analyst for the Solar Data Analysis Center, mostly focusing on the Virtual Solar Observatory. Assisted with the Space Physics community's Space Physics Archive Search & Extract.
I have a degree in Information Management, and have been spending the past few years trying to bridge the library & science communities, including:
- Secretary for ASIS&T's Science and Technical Information SIG;
- Former member of AGU's Earth and Space Science Informatics focus group (but threw election for Secretary after seeing the AGU's response to the OSTP RFI on public access to publications; quit AGU when I realized they called themselves a 'publisher' and not a 'society' in that response); I ran the 'ESSI message board' at the fall meeting & circulated a petition in 2011 to 'Free the AGU Session Data'
- Participated in BRDI's meeting on Data Citation and have done a number of presentations related to the recommendation for Landing Pages.
- Currently working w/ Todd King on documenting vocabulary used to discuss scientific data systems as a side project.
- Have helped organize of the Research Data Access & Preservation summit and the DC-Baltimore Perl Workshop
Also was a municipal elected official from 2008 to 2014.
- Seasoned Advice 72.7k 72.7k 1414 gold badges140140 silver badges405405 bronze badges
- Home Improvement 7.1k 7.1k 11 gold badge2626 silver badges4242 bronze badges
- Database Administrators 4.8k 4.8k 11 gold badge2525 silver badges3737 bronze badges
- Open Data 4.5k 4.5k 11 gold badge1515 silver badges3636 bronze badges
- Area 51 2.7k 2.7k 11 gold badge22 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 189 Translating cooking terms between US / UK / AU / CA / NZ
- 82 How do you peel garlic easily?
- 73 Cooking away alcohol
- 64 Can't rename columns in PostgreSQL views with CREATE OR REPLACE
- 62 Why do we peel carrots?
- 54 Why is it faster to reheat something than it is to cook it?
- 49 What knives are "required" for a serious home kitchen?
- View more network posts →